Want to make the most out of Variations? You're in the right place!
Here are our smartest Variation hacks which will allow you to make the most out of Variations.
In this article you will learn;
- How to A/B test your images with Variations
- How to A/B test your Text Variations (captions)
- How to view the results of your A/B tests
- How to get specific images paired with specific Text Variations
- How to get loads of unique Variations with minimal effort
How To A/B Test Your Images With Variations
You can try out several different versions of a post, each with a different image, and see which image gets the most engagement.
1. (Optional) If you're creating a link post, add the URL (link) into the Post Editor. The link will automatically change to [[link]] and will be displayed how it will appear in your post in the Preview on the right-hand side, as below...
2. Add one Text Variation (as you'll be testing the images only) in the post editor.
3. In 'Media Options' select the 'Vary media' option (you'll know it's been selected when the box is blue and ticked).
4. Add the images you would like to A/B test.
You can see in the example below, we are testing 3 different images with one Text Variation. In the Preview on the right-hand side, 3 Variations have been generated (each one with the same Text, but an alternating image)
5. Preview your Variations to make sure everything looks perfect in the Preview on the right-hand side. Click on the arrows to view each image Variation
6. Make sure 'Re-queue after posting' is selected.
7. Click 'Save'
8. Once several variations have been published, you can view the results of your A/B test.
How To A/B Test Your Text Variations
Here's our easy 10 step guide for split-testing different post captions.
1. Go to 'Add Content' and 'Add A Post'
2. Pick which Category your A/B Text test falls under
3. (Optional) Add the URL (link) of the page you'll be sending readers into the Post Editor, this will automatically change to [[link]] and display a link preview in the righthand preview. This link will be used throughout, your A/B test. Please keep in mind that only one link can be used in Variations.
4. Add your first Text Variation
5. Click the button to add another Text Variation (💡Tip! Make BIG changes between Variations to see what engages your readers most)
6. We recommend adding a third Variation to get the most out of your A/B test (you never know what you'll discover)! You can see in our example, we've taken facts from our Blog article and switched up the call to action line at the end of the post...
7. Next, go to 'Re-queue after posting' and select this option (it will be highlighed blue and ticked when selected).
8. Preview your Variations to make sure everything looks perfect in the Preview on the right-hand side. Click on the arrows to view each Text Variation
9. Click 'Save'
10. To review your results how each Text Variation performed, check 'Stats per cycle' which is found @claude where is this found please? Please could you mock a screenshot.
How to view the results of your A/B tests
To review your A/B test results and measure how each image Variation performed, view your Past Posts, click on the menu icon for the post, and click 'View Stats per Cycle'.
9. You will then see stats for each Variation/cycle that was published. If the same Variation was published multiple times over different cycles, each cycle will appear separately.
Bear in mind that engagement can be highly variable, and will vary based on many factors (day of week, time of day, other news).
How To Get Specific Images Paired With Specific Captions
Here's our handy guide to get those all-important captions paired with specific images you had in mind!
1. 💡 Always add the one link you want to use first, adding it to the Post Editor before you create multiple Text Variations means it will automatically be copied to all Text Variations 😉
2. Select 'Vary media' in Media Options and 'Re-Queue after posting' in Evergreen Post Recycling.
3. Upload the images you'd like to use.
4. Add your captions (Text Variations) into the Post Editor, in the same order that you've uploaded your images, left to right. (Check out our example below, you can see that 'The yellow hoodie and track pants' is Variation 1 and also the first image to be used. Variation 2, also matches Image 2 and so on)
💡 Tip! You can drag and drop your uploaded images to re-order them by clicking on an image and dragging it to the desired position. Or, you can re-order your Text Variations by clicking and dragging the arrow icon (above the trash can icon), check out the example below...
5. Check your Variations are in the correct order by clicking the arrows on the Preview.
Okay, so what about if you want to test two different Text Variations with the denim jacket image?
Let's show you how!
To create two different captions for one image...
- Create a 4th Text Variation, in the example below, you can see we've added a different denim jacket Text Variation which we want to match up only with the denim jacket images.
- Initially when we added the 4th Text Variation, the images and text became out of sync, and it temporarily created 12 new Variations.
- An easy solution to get them back in sync is to add the desired image again, in our case our denim jacket photo! Let's try this and see what happens...
- 🎉 Because we added 4 images with 4 Text Variations we're back in sync! The 4th Text Variation (about the denim jacket) now matches our 4th image in our uploaded Media! When we clicked the arrows in the Preview, we can now see that Variation 4 has matching Text and Image! These will now always stay in sync.
How to get loads of unique Variations with minimal effort 😉
The best way to achieve a maximum number of Variations is to create an mis-matching number of Text Variations to Media Variations.
For example, creating 4 Text Variations and uploading 4 images will only create 4 unique Variations, as they cycle in sync with each other.
If you add an additional Text Variation or image to the mix, it will create 20 Variations, as the 4 images and 5 text variations will cycle out of sync.
💡 To maximise how many unique posts you will achieve - you want your Variations to cycle out of sync.
Here's a helpful table we've made below to get the most bang for your buck...