Common Questions On How To Use Links In The Post Editor
In This Article
- How To Add, Edit, Or Troubleshoot Links?
- How To Use Bitly For Shortening Links?
- How To Use UTM Tracking Parameters With Links?
How To Add, Edit, Or Troubleshoot Links?
1. How do I add a link to my post?
2. I added a link to my post text, but it's showing up as [[link]].
This is placeholder text to represent where the link will appear within your post text and will be replaced with the actual link when you save the post.
You can see in the Preview Pane (on the right of the screen) what the link will look like.
3. How do I edit the link in my post?
4. Why is the link missing from my post text?
If you are posting to Twitter or Instagram and the link is missing from your post text, then the [[link]] placeholder was removed before the post was saved.
5. Can I remove the link from the post text once I’ve attached it?
For Twitter and Instagram, you have to keep the link inside your post text.
6. How will the link look when published?
When posting a link, a preview (image + title + description) will be shown. This preview of how the final post should look is shown in the Preview Pane.
7. I want to have a picture of the link added to the post.
8. How do I change which image is used as the link preview?
- Click on 'Link Settings' preview on the right, and scroll to the bottom
- You will see a 'Link Preview' section with tabs for each social platform that you have selected
- Clicking on the Pinterest tab will show you the current image chosen, with arrows at the top left
- You can use the arrows to choose a different image from the link
You can also upload your own image to be used as the preview image for LinkedIn and Pinterest
9. How do I attach an image from the linked web page?
Once you’ve added a link to the post, click 'Add Media,' and there’ll be an option at the top to “Choose an Image from your link” – click this button, and you’ll see thumbnails of the images we found on the web page.
Adding a different image from another web page can be easily done by following the steps here.
10. Why aren't my links clickable on Instagram?
Instagram has specific settings in regards to links being shared on their platform.
These settings prevent clickable links being included in comments and posts themselves.
11. Why can't I post a Facebook Event link to Facebook?
- Add an image to the post via the 'Media' section in the Post Editor;
- Turn on Bitly click tracking to ensure that the link is shortened by Bitly.
12. Instead of posting a link, how can I hyperlink text inside of a social media post?
At the moment this isn't possible and is a limitation of social media platforms themselves. The good news is, links can post with link previews which are even more clickable and interactive!
13. What is a Redirect?
A URL redirect essentially takes your URL and points it to another. You can choose to use the 'Initial link' or the 'Final'.
If your link contains a redirect, you will see an option here asking, "Which link do you want to use?"
Select which one works best for you!
How To Use Bitly For Shortening Links?
1. I want to use Bitly for click-tracking and/or shorten my link
2. My post shows "no link tracking"
This is because Bitly link tracking is turned off in 'Link Tracking,' or else you’ve disabled link tracking in your 'Link Tracking Settings.'
3. Why does my Bitly link show up as http://bit.ly/placeholder in the Preview Pane?
4. Do I have to make separate Bitly links for each profile?
5. Will Evergreen posts use the same Bitly link on every cycle?
6. Do you offer Rebrandly integration?
Currently, we do not offer Rebrandly, but you can use Bitly for link shortening/tracking services.
If you're interested in making this happen, please visit our Feature Request Board to upvote Rebrandly functionality.
How To Use UTM Tracking Parameters With Links?
1. How do I add Google Analytics UTM tracking parameters to my link?
This should be turned on by default, unless you’ve changed your Settings. Click on the 'Link Settings' tab, and edit the Google Analytics section.
2. How do I customize the UTM parameters for each social profile?
- Click on Link Settings
- Then, Google Analytics
- Next, Edit UTM Settings
We recommend using the _ACCOUNT_ tag wherever you want to have the name of the social profile, or the _NETWORK_ tag wherever you want the name of the social platform.
3. My link has lots of text added after it, like this:
These are Google Analytics UTM tracking parameters. They help improve your Google Analytics, so you can see how your website visitors found your website.
The capitalized words will be replaced with your own profiles/Categories, which you can see in the Preview.
If you don’t want them in your link, you can turn UTM off from the 'Link Settings' tab; or you can use Bitly to shorten the link into something prettier.